Monday, March 17, 2008

Progress, such as it is!

Ooh...exchanged messages with actual agencies and social workers today. I usually work "in town" (we live in a very small college town) while Gert is in school if Beau has a sitter, because I have to pick her up anyway, and I find the laundry and such shriek too loudly at me if I work at home. But I can scarcely call home study agencies from a table in the bookstore!

So I set up in a group study room at the college library. They are on spring break and the going was easy and the wireless strong and free.

I admit to calling my favorite possibility, the XingFu program in NYC, twice. Three times today, actually, but once was returning a call, I swear! Now I suspect they think I am crazy adoption stalker girl.

I hesitated for a minute before I dialed that first number. Calling is so much more real than emailing, or even joining a Yahoo group. It's calling. It's real. It's the first real step towards the part where the process takes over, and you'd have to take affirmative steps to stop the train. Are we really ready to fill out forms and sign checks and have social workers in our house?

Two things: One, I asked Poptart tonight not to tell Mom and Pop Granola about the crazy plan, henceforth referred to as Operation Four. He agreed without question, but I still explained: I have this feeling they will rain on my parade.

He nodded and kept eating Beau's birthday cake.

"How about you? Thinking of drizzling?"

"Nope."

"I guess that makes it our parade, then."

And I guess it does. The second thing? I'm awfully happy lately. Patient with the kids, bubbly, brimming with good cheer. A bit nervous, anxious, given to moments of this-is-all-out-of-my-control panic, but overall happy and...expectant. Which definitely told me something!

2 comments:

M said...

Hey there!

It's Maia Rossini from the West Wind blog. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that if you have any questions about the XingFu program - I'd be happy to answer. I have plenty to say about the program (pretty much all positive). Our experience with Homeland has been amazing. And there is definitely a pressing need to find families for the children still in the orphanages right now. There are a lot of children! Please email me privately if you want to chat. And good luck in your search to find the right agency!

-MR

Stephanie and Gary said...

hi -- found your blog, was intrigued by your journey, what you have to say -- plus your former NYC status caught my eye as I'm in Brooklyn. We are in the "inspiration" stage of adopting from Kazakhstan. Decision to be made very soon! Best wishes to you on your journey!
Stephanie
www.ourjourneyto5.blogspot.com